Here are the basics about me:
- I live in Durham. Woohoo! Yay Durham.
- My master’s degree is in the discipline most important for writing middle-grade fantasy: Biological Oceanography.
- My debut novel THE LAST DRAGON CHARMER #1: VILLAIN KEEPER is being published by HarperCollins in February 2015.
- This is my author pic:
I live with two elderly dogs.
- Simon is a kinda cocker spaniel. He’s supposed to be a full cocker spaniel but he’s about twice as big as other more real cocker spaniels. He is almost fifteen and growls like a cat would purr. Here he is ducking away from the camera:
- Sally is a twelve-year-old once fluffy white dog. She’s once fluffy because we had to have her shaved. Now she’s a mostly naked pink dog. Here’s a pic of her pre-shave:
- My mother lives with me. This is a good thing as I force her to read early drafts in exchange for lodging. In the picture below you can see her. There’s a strange little man walking on her shoulder. No relation…
- My sister, Sarah, is also a writer and lives near to us. She is my critique partner. She often brings by my niece and nephew to visit. My nephew loves light bulbs, lamps, and electronics. My niece is a fan of airplanes and butterflies. They are terrific kids. Sarah’s not too bad herself. Here she is grinning at you. (There’s no family resemblance at all, right?)
- My brother’s name is Orren. He’s loud and supportive.
- When I write, I often go to local coffee shops and cafes. My necessary characteristic of these are that they have Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi on tap. That’s it. My favorites are
- The Root Cellar: Wifi, Diet Coke, and pizza! Not to mention they are beside Flyleaf books.
- Saladelia: Wifi, Diet Coke, and chicken salad sandwiches.
- Fosters: No wifi but sometimes that’s a good thing. It’s an interesting place because you just go to the counter and pay sometime after you eat. It’s more less an honor system. Once, I forgot to pay for my meal but I came back the next day and made it right! They told me it happens all the time
- Madhatter’s: They are wifi wonderful. It’s downtown so it’s near The Regulator bookshop and Letters bookshop. I like their eggs benedict. They’ve got lots of cakes, cookies, and pastries, too, but I do my best to avoid those most days.
- I’m trying to get in better shape. I’ve started to train to run a five kilometer race using the couch to 5k program. At the time that I’m writing this, I’m on week three. That means I’m still closer to the couch.
- I’ve taught science for ten years. I’ve worked in the NC Community College System and the Virginia Governor’s School. I like teaching.
- I didn’t proofread this yet.